San Miniato is a lovely village perched on a hill along the Arno, halfway between Florence and Pisa. The origins of the city, famous for its delicious white truffle, date back to the Etruscan-Roman.
The castle was built by Emperor Otto I in 962°, stayed there even Frederick Barbarossa and Pope Gregory V.
The fortress is located on top of the Hill, to complete the defensive complex of the castle: here Frederick II between 1217 and 1221, constructed the symbol tower of San Miniato.
The Cathedral overlooks Piazza del Duomo and dates back to 1200. The façade is decorated with ceramics arranged in the shape of the constellations Ursa Major and minor.
The convent of San Francisco, according to tradition, was donated by the nobles of san Miniato San Ingo that stayed in the nearby Abbey of Santa Gonda.
Also notable is the Church of Santo Stefano and San Michele, built in the 12th century on a private family Chapel eaters, preserves a wooden crucifix by Pietro Cavallini (15th century), the frescoes of the four evangelists by Domenico Brogi and stained glass mosaics and frescoes by Dilvo Lotti.
The city is full of palaces and churches to visit: the Church of the most Holy Crucifix, the Church of Loretino, the Church of SS. Annunziata, the Church of Saint James and Saint Lucia, the convent of San Domenico and the Bishop’s Palace.
The historical core of the town is set in three neighbouring hills along the Arno plain above sea level at 140, with a medieval urban layout intact. This is a typical modern housing estate “slipped” from the hilly slopes towards the highway, which is typical of the left bank of the Arno River, which allowed a substantial conservation of the historic centre, today devoted mainly as a tourist destination, and of agricultural land to the South, dominated today as centuries ago, by the cultivation of grapes and olives.
San Miniato white truffles is the product of excellence, which is also a trade show event in the fall.